Conference field trips
CONFERENCE FIELD TRIPS
1-day Mini Seminar and Field-Based Workshop in Parnassos Mining District
on “The role of Mineral Exploration Geologist: Best Practices and Key learnings from the Greek Bauxite Mining Industry”
Joint UPatras, AUTH and NKUA SEG Student Chapters Event
Organizers: Academic Advisors of SEG Chapter: Assoc. Prof. Dr. Stavros Kalaitzidis (UPatras); Assoc. Prof. Dr. Vasilios Melfos (AUTH); Prof. Dr. Stephanos Kilias (NKUA) – Dr. Panagiotis Zachariadis, Geology and Mine Planning Manager, IMERYS – Bauxite Operations Greece
This one-day training workshop, will include both seminar and field-based sessions at the karst-associated bauxite deposits in the Parnassos-Ghiona Unit, Central Greece.
The following topics will be covered:
- Bauxite as “critical raw material” in supporting Europe’s transition to a Green and Digital Economy in a Zero-Carbon World
- Principles of Minerals Exploration
- Handling of Karst Bauxite Exploration Data: from acquisition to modelling
- Field-based exercise in karst-bauxite mining-wall mapping
The Joint UPatras, AUTH and NKUA Society of Economic Geologists (SEG) Student Chapters Workshop is addressed primarily to students of both undergraduate and graduate level who already completed one semester in Economic Geology subjects. Members of the Society of Economic Geologists Student Chapters are particularly welcomed. However, early career geologists can also participate.
Participants are encouraged to bring a laptop for the practical sessions.
Certifications of Attendance will be provided as part of a Continues Learning & Development Scheme.
Schedule and pricing
- Date: Thursday, 20/10/2022
- Departure Time: morning – exact time to be announced during the conference
- Return Time: late afternoon – exact times to be announced during the conference
- Pick up/Drop off Point: Conference Venue
- Price: SEG Student Chapters Members 20€ | Non-Members 25€ (includes transportation and light lunch)
- Min. Participants: 15 persons
- Max. Participants: 40 persons